Monday 26 November 2012

A Shadow of my Former Self

My, my... Now where to begin?

Hello. My name is Nathan Umbra, and I am a former agent of The Slender Man.

My service under him began eight years ago, when my brother, adopted sister and myself sacrificed our parents in his name. He came to us, impressed with our devotion, and allowed us high ranking positions in his proxy army. Free of the constraints of technically being family, Ella and I developed a romantic relationship. Around this time, my brother John also discovered his latent healing abilities. Not a personal regeneration factor, no. He was able to heal other people's injuries simply by laying his hands on the wound. This proved to be useful in the coming years, as I was quite prone to injury (and death as well, it seems).

Then one day we came up with an idea. An idea which would forever solidify our position as heroes among the Proxies. We were going to give The Slender Man a son. An extension of himself. A Demi-Fear, if you will. This entity, code named "Larvae" would act as a replacement body if the Slender Man were ever to die. And... The plan worked. Not in our favor, mind you...

You see, in my initial attempts to gather the mass sacrifice necessary for such a ritual, my true motives were discovered by a man named Clark, who decided the best course of action would be to kill me. After my death, I awoke in Hell... Or so I thought. According to some of the Timberwolves we've interrogated, Hell is just an illusion the Archangel creates for the servants of other Fears once they die and become a part of him. I spent what felt like months in torture and solitude before my Master could negotiate terms for my release.

After my revival, I relocated to Canada and tried again. This time, I managed to gather over a hundred followers by convincing them that I would succeed where the Core Theory had failed, and kill the Slender Man. One such follower was a spy sent by a woman named Diesis to try to find my true motives. One day, I caught him reading through my journal. This was the point where I let my master corral all of my followers into the sacrificial chamber while I tortured Phobos for the location of Diesis' home base.

Why I would need to know where she was is one of the memories I've lost. All I can remember is that he revealed the location of her mansion, escaped, and warned them in time to prepare for my assault. Regardless of how well it was defended, I survived and took with me whatever it was I had needed. And then the day came where Larvae would be created. I was personally asked to act as the mental template, the Proxy who's personality he would be based off of. While normally this would be an honor reserved for a Proxy the Slender Man saw as a son, it was a fate I certainly did not want.

During my service, I had seen what the Fears could do. It frightened me. I created the "Larvae" project as a cover for what the sacrifice would really do; something that will be mentioned at the end of this post. Something that would have let me kill the Fears. Unfortunately, I had to resort to tactics similar to their own, which I regret immensely.

In my final moments, I mailed my journal to Diesis' Mansion. Inside, there were several cocktails that, if administered would cause Larvae to die, releasing the "Template Proxy". I entrusted Phobos with this task, stating that Larvae would eventually grow to be a greater threat than the Slender Man himself. Placing all of my faith in him, I let myself die for the second time.

Well... I can tell from the fact that I'm typing this that Phobos succeeded. Now the only issue is tracking him down.

See, that journal had very important information in it. Larvae was only the first part of a plan on a larger scale than you could possibly imagine. Because along with him, two anomalies were created which had the potential to give a Fear unparallelled power. Anomalies that, if harnessed by a human, could allow them to completely and utterly annihilate the Fears. But due to my fractured memories, the only way we're going to find out exactly what it was is by tracking down Phobos and taking my journal back... By force if necessary.

My name is Lieutenant Nathaniel James Umbra of the Deicide Branch of STAB.

And I will atone for all of my sins.

I will give Elijah the power to accomplish his goals.

I will create a world free of Fear.

1 comment:

  1. Raph here: You know what? This just made me realise you're a lot younger than me Nate. By like, three or four years. Why is everyone I've worked for so much younger than me...

    ReplyDelete